Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Gerald Bhendu African Art

One of the most intriguing and mysterious artists came to my attention a few weeks ago. My first impression of readingg about his life was admittedly anger on my part. To be more specific I was angered by how little information I could find about the man himself. From what I read he was a much sought after artist but where are his riches? I realize not all artist paint for the monetary gain or notoriety but for their own pleasure and expression. Somehow, I didn't get that impression from reading about Gerald Bhendu.

I believe anyone with his talent enjoys their work as I believe he did however, I don't believe he had the opportunity to realize his gift as a means to financial prosperity. Living as a child during a time when some believed that black Africans were best left uneducated as to not "spoil a natural gift", may be unthinkable by today's standard. But that's how life was for Bhendu. Despite that he create some of the most beautiful and inspiring real-life character studies, in my opinion. His expression where sometimes in the form of home made medium when money was very low or non-existent. In my opinion a man of his talents should never be without financial resources. Which is one of the reasons why my nerves were struck by the limited information about his life.

While a lengthy Internet search of Bhendu's Life yielded less than satisfying results, his work speaks volumes about who he was as an artist, with an extraordinary eye for detail, a love and intense pride for his people. These things without reading about them are clearly communicated through the care he put into each of his works.

2 comments:

  1. The painting is beautiful. He seems extremely talented but given he's in that subcontinent, people don't really appreciate or understand the value of great art. If he comes here, he will be admired. I wish he gets some western attention

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Googled Bhengu, and I read his bio. Very interesting and sad. It seems he disappeared, could not finish work when the job had a lot of money riding on it, like he felt pressured by deadlines. I am speculating based on observations of other artists. I am glad you posted one of his paintings.

    ReplyDelete